Having their own chip for image processing is said to give mobile phone manufacturers a big leap in photography. And it is true if we take as an example what Google and Apple phones do, which are real beasts in computational photography. OPPO wants to catch up with the big brands in this section and for this they have just announced their first own chip.
We are talking about the new MariSilicon X, which is built with a 6nm process and combines an advanced NPU, an ISP and a multi-level memory architecture on a single chip. It will debut in the brand’s next Find X flagship and promises to exploit all the possibilities that computational photography offers.
This is the MariSilicon X: the chip that will make OPPO cameras better
The MariSilicon X comes to improve the quality of photos and videos captured by OPPO mobiles and possibly also those of its sister brands (OnePlus, Realme and Vivo). It will be able to expand the set of functions of its cameras , although it remains to be seen how OPPO takes advantage of the possibilities of having its own image processing chip.
The main characteristics of this chip are the following:
- 18 TOPS AI power with 11.6 TOPS / W efficiency.
- It processes 40 images per second in 4K with a consumption of 797 mW (an improvement of 20% compared to the NPU previously used by the brand).
- Dynamic range from 20 bits to 120 dB (4 times more than that of the OPPO Find X3 Pro).
- Contrast up to 1,000,000: 1 .
- It improves the brightness of each frame in real time, thus allowing you to record videos with night vision in 4K HDR .
- RGBW Pro mode that improves the signal-to-noise ratio by 8.6 dB and almost doubles the quality of the textures.
- Algorithms with Artificial Intelligence for noise reduction, better color reproduction, HDR, detail improvement, dynamic range, etc.
- Dedicated Tera bps memory subsystem to not depend on memory and squeeze the NPU, reducing data transfer time.
- Dedicated DDR with a speed of 8.5 GB / s.
- Raw content processing in real time .
Please note that the MariSilicon X is only an image processing chip. So, in the high-end OPPO, it will necessarily be accompanied by a more complete SoC like the Qualcomm Snapdragon 8 Gen 1, which has its own ISP and NPU in addition to a CPU, GPU, etc.
When will the first phones with MariSilicon X arrive and what will they be?
The first mobiles to use this chip will be OPPO’s next-generation Find X, which will be announced in the first quarter of 2022 . From there, all subsequent company flagships will use the MariSilicon X.
Also, now that OnePlus has merged with OPPO, we wouldn’t be surprised if the upcoming OnePlus range tops use it as well . Of course, it will be necessary to see if this chip really materializes all the improvements that it promises, otherwise its use will be more limited.
Source | OPPO Official Blog