Do you need to attach files larger than 256MB in Gmail? If your answer is “yes”, we want to tell you that you have come to the right place. Here we are going to show you the different methods you can use to attach large files to your Gmail emails .
How to attach files larger than 256MB in Gmail?
As we mentioned at the beginning of the note, attaching large files in Gmail is possible . Thanks to different methods that can be carried out, Gmail allows users to attach videos, photos, documents and files larger than 256 MB .
The good news is that it is not necessary to download applications to send large files, since you can use different online tools to be able to attach files that exceed the weight limit imposed by Google in Gmail.
Compress files to reduce their size
If the file you want to attach to a Gmail email is larger than 256MB, you might find a simple and effective solution using a file compressor .
What these applications do is reduce the size of the file that you want to send by email by up to 50% . Of course, not all files are able to reduce their size, so this method may not work.
Although there are several options for Android, Windows and Mac OS that allow you to compress files simply and quickly, we recommend using WinRAR , a tool that does an excellent job (you can download the program from the link at the end of this paragraph) .
Link | Download WinRAR
Once you have downloaded the program to your computer (you can find the version of WinRAR for Android here), you will have to follow all these steps that we leave you below:
- The first step you have to do is select the file or files you want to compress .
- Once the files are selected, right-click on any of them and choose the option that says “Add to file.”
- A window will open with different options, click on the option that says “Compression method”.
- Choose the option that says “Best” (this option will further reduce the size of the files).
- Click on the “OK” button for WinRAR to start compressing the files you have selected.
- And finally, once the file or files are compressed, you will have to attach it to the Gmail email you want to send .
Remember that the file in RAR or ZIP format must not exceed 256 MB so that it can be attached to a Gmail email. If it exceeds the size limit imposed by the Google service, you must use the other two methods that we leave you below.
Upload the files to your Google Drive account
If the files that you have to upload to Gmail are videos and photos, you probably want to avoid compressing them, as this action reduces the quality of the multimedia content.
Luckily, Gmail is connected to Google Drive , so you can select the files uploaded to your account to attach to your emails.
Once you have the files uploaded to Google Drive, you must follow these steps to be able to attach them in Gmail:
- Enter your Gmail account, click on the option that says “Compose” (to create a new email).
- Therefore, you will have to touch the Google Drive icon that appears at the bottom of the body of the email.
- Select the files you want to attach to Gmail email.
- Once selected, click on “Drive Link” and then on the button that says “Insert”.
- Within seconds, Google Drive will “attach” those files to the body of the email.
It is worth mentioning that the person who receives the email with the attached files from Google Drive, will be able to download the content from your Drive account. In other words, the email will not have any attachments , since they are in the Google cloud storage service.
Do you have the files you want to send by Gmail in Dropbox? Don’t worry, you don’t need to download and upload them to Google Drive, as Gmail is compatible with Dropbox .
Of course, you must download the Dropbox extension in your Gmail account . If you don’t have it, you can download and install it for free from the link at the end of this paragraph.
Link | Download Dropbox for Gmail
Having installed this extension in your Gmail account, you must perform the following steps to be able to attach large files in Gmail:
- First you have to enter your Gmail account and compose a new email.
- Once you are inside the body of a new email in Gmail, you will have to click on the Dropbox icon that appears at the bottom of the email. If you do not see this icon, you will have to increase the size of the window the email you have created.
- Log in with your Dropbox account and grant it the necessary permissions to successfully link with your Gmail account.
- Select the file or files that you have in Dropbox and that you want to attach.
- If you did all the steps correctly, Dropbox will generate a link and add it to the body of the email .
Remember that you can attach any file you have in Dropbox to a Gmail email , as they will not take up space, only links will be generated so that the user who receives the email can download them from your Dropbox account.
Are there more methods to send large files by Gmail?
Yes, there are other methods that can be carried out to attach and send large files by Gmail. If you are interested in knowing them, we recommend that you take a look at the note where we show how to send large files by Gmail.
Yes, the methods that we show you above (using Drive, Dropbox and compressing files) are the most used and effective, so we recommend you put them into practice to avoid headaches when attaching files larger than 256 MB in Gmail .